NORTH SHORE - LOWER - NSW - 2065
St Leonards is a built up suburb situated 5 kilometres northwest of the Sydney Central Business District. Originally St Leonards referred to the entire North Shore area, from North Sydney to Gore Hill. The North Shores first railway station opened at the present-day St Leonards in 1890 and the surrounding area became known by the same name.
In 1888, due to a lack of hospitals in the area the 14 bed North Shore Cottage Hospital was opened. Later renamed the Royal North Shore Hospital, it has grown to become one of St Leonards best known icons.
A combination of the main arterial road, the Pacific Highway and the commercial property boom of the 1970’s and 80’s cemented St Leonards’ position as the fourth largest commercial area in Australia. St Leonards became a central transportation hub and its business district is growing at an exponential rate.
One of Sydneys tallest residential towers, the 38-storey Forum building above the revamped railway station, opened in 2000 and has been followed by many resort style apartment developments.